Chair: Natalie Arsenault, University of Chicago
Members: Paul Duncan, University of Georgia; Karen Goldman, University of Pittsburgh; Claire Gonzalez, Vanderbilt University; Keira Philipp-Schnurer, University of New Mexico; Denise Woltering, Tulane University
The CLASP Outreach Committee sponsors a variety of initiatives designed to share public engagement strategies among members and extend Latin American studies resources to outside audiences, including K–16 educators, community organizations, businesses, the media, and other individuals/organizations that are interested in learning more about Latin America.
The Outreach Committee organizes conference sessions for outreach professionals to discuss best practices, coordinates exhibit booths at educator conferences to promote resources, and advances opportunities for collaborative activities among CLASP members. Under the auspices of the Outreach Committee, CLASP sponsors the Américas Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature, which has its own chair and selection committee.
Duties of the Outreach Committee chair and members:
- Utilize the CLASP listserv to disseminate information on collaborative outreach activities and opportunities for CLASP members to participate
- Propose outreach-themed sessions for the Latin American Studies Association congress
- Update outreach information on the CLASP website
- Organize other activities (e.g., conference exhibits) as interest arises
- Serve as a resource for CLASP members, and other individuals/organizations, who request consultation on outreach activities